Torres is a surname often given to a person who lived in or near a tower, from the Latin turris, meaning "tower." It was also bestowed as a habitational name from any of the many places named Torres.
Torres is the 50th most popular surname in the United States and the 11th most popular Spanish surname.
Surname Origin: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Jewish
Alternate Surname Spellings: TORREZ, TORES, TOREZ
Famous People with the Surname TORRES
- Dara Torres - American Olympic swimmer
- Juan José Torres - Bolivian general and president
- Tomás de Torres - Portuguese astrologer
- Luis Váez de Torres - 17th-century explorer
Where Do People With the Surname Torres Live?
Torres is the 150th most common surname in the world, according to surname distribution data from Forebears, found in greatest numbers in Mexico and with the highest density in Puerto Rico, where it is the 3rd most common surname. Torres is also very common in Ecuador (6th), Peru (8th), Mexico (12th), Colombia (12th), Cuba (13th), and Andorra, Venezuela, and Argentina (each 15th).
Within Europe, Torres is most frequently found in Spain, according to WorldNames PublicProfiler, especially in the Balearic Islands, followed by the other regions of southern Spain.
Genealogy Resources for the Surname Torres
100 Common Hispanic Surnames & Their Meanings
Garcia, Martinez, Rodriguez, Lopez, Hernandez… Are you one of the millions of people sporting one of these top 100 common Hispanic last names?
How to Research Hispanic Heritage
Learn how to get started researching your Hispanic ancestors, including the basics of family tree research and country-specific organizations, genealogical records, and resources for Spain, Latin America, Mexico, Brazil, the Caribbean, and other Spanish speaking countries.
Torres Family Crest - It's Not What You Think
Contrary to what you may hear, there is no such thing as a Torres family crest or coat of arms for the Torres surname. Coats of arms are granted to individuals, not families, and may rightfully be used only by the uninterrupted male-line descendants of the person to whom the coat of arms was originally granted.
Torres Family Genealogy Forum
Search this popular genealogy forum for the Torres surname to find others who might be researching your ancestors, or post your own Torres query.
FamilySearch - TORRES Genealogy
Access over 5.5 million free historical records and lineage-linked family trees posted for the Torres surname and its variations on this free genealogy website hosted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
GeneaNet - Torres Records
GeneaNet includes archival records, family trees, and other resources for individuals with the Torres surname, with a concentration on records and families from France, Spain, and other European countries.
DistantCousin.com - TORRES Genealogy & Family History
Explore free databases and genealogy links for the last name Torres.
- Surname Meanings & Origins: Cottle, Basil. Penguin Dictionary of Surnames. Baltimore, MD: Penguin Books, 1967.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Collins Celtic (Pocket edition), 1998.
- Fucilla, Joseph. Our Italian Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 2003.
- Hanks, Patrick and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Hanks, Patrick. Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Reaney, P.H. A Dictionary of English Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Smith, Elsdon C. American Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997.